Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 1995 22:05:43 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        dufault@hda.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Boot message rampage

>> All the probe messages irritate the hell out of me.  The style is

>Boy do I agree with this.  I have two 8 port serial cards in one of my
>kernels.

Do you have the verbose com flag enabled or drivers for nonexistent
multiport serial cards?  Normally only 2 lines of output per port are
printed, but you can get about 10 lines per port in some
misconfigurations :-).

>I agree.  I propose we do provide something similar to the "write out the
>config" so that you can zap your kernel to support the boot flags you
>want.

I have a utility for this (written by Christoph Robitschko) but haven't
found it very useful.  Zapping the flags at boot time is more convenient.
(Today I found a limitation in userconfig().  After zapping some interrupts
from -1 to active, the interrupt handlers remained as 0 and caused a
panic.  userconfig() neither displays nor allows zapping the interrupt
handlers.)

Bruce