Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 1995 09:32:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de (Thomas Gellekum)
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem adding a second SCSI disk on 1542CF

Thomas Gellekum writes:

(...)

I'm not sure what to suggest other than cable problems with an
early unmodified 1542C.

>From the comp.periphs.scsi FAQ:

====
QUESTION: What is the problem with the Adaptec 1542C and external cables?
ANSWER From: Scot Stelter, Adaptec  (Product Manager for the AHA-1540)
====

Several articles lately have cited the importance of SCSI-2-compliant
cables when cabling SCSI bus subsystems.  Perhaps the most accurate
and technically detailed one was published in Computer Technology
Review in March (Volume XIII, No. 3. PP. 6).  In short, it explains
the double-clocking mechanism that can occur due to cables whose
impedance falls below the 90-Ohm SCSI-2 spec.  Steep edge speeds on
the REQ and ACK lines of the SCSI bus exacerbate the problem, but
non-compliant cables are the root cause. Both LAN TIMES in the US
(5/24/93, page 115) and CT Magazine in Germany (7/93, page 18) cite
this cable problem.

In an extensive survey of cables available in the US and Europe, we
found that more than half of the cables available have single-ended
impedances in the 65 to 80 Ohm range -- below the 90 to 132 Ohms
specified in the SCSI-2 spec.  It seems that some (not all) cable
vendors do not understand the specification, describing their cables
as SCSI-2 compliant when they are not.  A common misconception is that
SCSI-2 means a high-density connector.  In fact, there are several
connector options.  I have published a technical bulletin that
summarizes the critical requirements (TB 001, April 1993). An artifact
of its faster design left the AHA-1540C with faster edge-speeds than
its predecessor, the AHA-1540B.  As I have said, this can exacerbate
the effect of bad cables.  This explains why some users could get
their AHA-1540B to work when an early AHA-1540C might not.
Essentially, the 1540B was more forgiving than the early 1540Cs.  Good
cables fixed the problem, but unfortunately for the user, good cables
are hard to find.

After surveying the cable market and many of our customers, we decided
that bad cables were going to be here for a while, and we had to make
the 1540C as forgiving as the 1540B was.  At the end of April we made
a change to the AHA-1540C that involved using a passive filter to
reduce the slew rate of the ACK line, the signal that the host adapter
drives during normal data transfers.  Extensive testing with many
intentionally illegal configurations confirms that we succeeded. Prior
to release, we tested the AHA-1540C with over 200 peripherals, systems
and demanding software programs with no failures.  Then, a second team
retested the AHA-1540C across a wild combination of temperatures,
humidities and other stresses.  This testing gives me confidence that
the AHA-1540 line continues to serve as the gold standard for SCSI
compatibility.

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936