Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 1995 11:20:11 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   dip for BSD

It comes up from time to time, and recently somebody posted that he's
got a `dip' (dialup IP) program for BSD ready.

I've fetched the files from the rather limited ftp server of a small
German university and David has put them up into freefall's incoming
directory (anon ftp).  It would be nice if people who are interested
could give it a try, and it would be even nicer :) if they could make
this a FreeBSD `port' (even though we certainly cannot rely on the
Uni Clausthal ftp server -- they allow for 5 German and 3 abroad
ftp connections during the business hours :-(( ).

Here's a copy of the original announcement:

> From: Joachim Bartz <injb@verleihnix.rz.tu-clausthal.de>
> Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.announce
> Subject: Ann: dip -dialup IP handler for bsd
> Supersedes: <199505090036.CAA00872@verleihnix.rz.tu-clausthal.de>
> Date: 8 May 1995 18:09:06 -0700
> Sender: cgd@agate.berkeley.edu
> To: netbsd-announce@agate.berkeley.edu
>

> DIP is mainly a tool to establish a SLIP connection.  It handles all
> the necessary actions to set up the tty port and the modem, dial out
> and finally build up a  SLIP connection between the tty port and the
> kernel.  To do so, dip offers an own very simple command language (a
> mostly complete description can be found in the man page).
>
> Dip can handle both incoming and outgoing connections using password
> security for incoming connections.
>
> This dip version was ported from  Linux to NetBSD,  although it will
> work on other BSDish systems as well.
>

> It can be found at this site:
>     ftp.rz.tu-clausthal.de    in    /pub/unix/tuc
>
> Filenames:
>     bsddip-1.01.ReadMe
>     bsddip-1.01.tar.Z
>

> Joachim Bartz

> Joachim Bartz                 A person with one watch knows what time it is;
> injb@sun.rz.tu-clausthal.de   a person with two watches is never sure.

Note: the actual files are already version 1.02 now.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/