Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 1995 09:16:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Rashid Karimov." <rashid@haven.ios.com>
To:        dexteryeung@ns1.HK.LinkAGE.NET (Dexter Yeung)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ethernet setup

	Hi there,

> I have installed FreeBSD 2.0.5 in my Pentimun server with 2x2G
> IBM SCSI HDD, 64M RAM and 3C509 NIC.  While it start to boot,
> BSD 2.0.g cannot recognise the 3C509 as address is 0x300 and
> irq is 10.

	This could be related to the well known problem
	with "plug'n'play " mode in 3C509B.
	Try to switch it off via "blue floppy" ( the one which
	comes with adapter).

> Where I can find detail reference material, e.g. books for me
> to reference.  I find that it is seriously short of books and
> other reference material ( Linux has many books in book stores )
> I can use.
>
> It is too hard for a beginner to play with this
> kind of OS, as well as UNIX techno.

	Usually its assumed that the person installing any kind of
	Unix OS on his PC does have some basic understanding :)
	of what's going on

	As for the lack of the books on the topic ... well,
	the FreeBSD if well behind Linux in this sense :(

	There is the O'Reilly's set on BSD4.4 , but it's too
	general .. Sigh

	Rashid