Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 1995 13:17:04 -0400
From:      rbs@io.org (Bob Semcesen)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to get FreeBSD from ftp site?

To: info@FreeBSD.org
From: rbs@io.org (Bob Semcesen)

Please help.  IF YOU CAN NOT HELP THEN PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHO CAN.

The documentation (INSTALL, READ* files) is unclear on which files
I need from the ftp site.

This is my aim:

  Transfer the most current version of FreeBSD from an anonymous
  ftp site (ftp.FreeBSD.org) to a UNIX machine which is directly
  on the internet.
  (I know there are a lot of files, so I plan to do this during
  low usage hours like 6 AM EST.)
  Next, I would transfer the retrieved FreeBSD distribution files
  from the UNIX host to my own MS-DOS hard drive.

  Install FreeBSD onto my computer in its own partition using these
  files.

These are my questions:

  Which is the most current version on the ftp.FreeBSD.org site?

  What are the SNAP versions?

  Which files/directories on the anon ftp site do I need???
  Many file in subdirectories of 2.0.5-RELEASE have long
  unix filenames. Of course, I can't store them on my DOS
  partition so I am assumming there are archived files that
  will be uncompressed during FreeBSD installation - am I right?

  How do I install FreeBSD from DOS given the files that I ftp'd
  from ftp.FreeBSD.org?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Eagerly waiting you response, Bob Semcesen   (rbs@io.org)