Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 1995 15:45:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        pst@shockwave.com, bde@freefall.freebsd.org, CVS-commiters@freefall.freebsd.org, cvs-sys@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern vnode_if.sh

> > Maybe it's time to ask the general question:
> >
> > 	Why do we care about non-ansi compilers?
>
> Roll back the clock about 2 years and you'll find a similar thread, except
> it was me saying "Why do we care about non-ansi compilers?" that time
> and Terry on the other end arguing passionately for K&R compatability
> just in case we decided to do that long awated 6809 port of FreeBSD
> and were stuck with pcc or something as the only available compiler.
>
> I say fiddlesticks - we should go to full c++ style prototypes and obey
> only those sylististic conventions necessary to making things like `ctags'
> work.  That's about as far as I think it's necessary to go with
> "backwards compatability" in source code.

Then you have not thought about the facts that the BSD source code
base is used in other OS's that do _not_ have a fully ansi compliant
compiler and are not going to be getting one any day soon.

I love the fact that I can take large hunks of BSD user land code and
haul them over to my discrepent old Domain/IX SR 9.1 system and compile
them up to make the system somewhat more palatable, and hell if I am
going to go port gcc to this thing :-(.