Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 1995 12:24:32 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        pst@shockwave.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tail dumps core

Warner Losh stands accused of saying:
> : How could this possibly be allowed by the C standard?  I'm utterly
> : confused.
>
> I think that on one's complement machines you can have a zero that is
> "+0" and one that is "-0", one of which may or may not be the
> "standard" zero on that platform.  +0 is typically all zeros on this
> machine but -0 typically has the sign bit set, and all the rest of the
> bits clear.  However, on a machine like this one would expect the zero
> to either be normalized, or the sign bit to be masked out.

You may also be on a platform that uses offset binary, or that packs
hardware type information into spare bits.

The C standard strives for portability.  I don't expect that any of the
above is likely to become popular in the near future, so it's not really
such an issue.

> Warner

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[