Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 95 14:36:45 CST
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panic: free vnode isn't

> >My 1026-SNAP news server flipped this morning, again, with this error.  So
> >it is an occasionally recurring problem.
>
> >I forgot that I needed to define DODUMP in order for it to save a dump to
> >disk, but will gladly recompile another kernel and do this, if it might be
> >helpful.
>
> No excuse :-).  DODUMP hasn't existed for about 6 months.  Use dumpon(8).

Cool!  :-)  I hadn't had to do this lately, so I hadn't noticed this
IMPROVEMENT!  :-)  ;-)

> Perhaps known bogus options should be checked for in a central source file:
>
> #ifdef CHILD_MAX
> #warning "bogus option CHILD_MAX, RTFM setrlimit(2), sh(1) (ulimit)"
> #endif

Ummmmmm.  Okay, so what about this scene:

News server, spawned at boot.  News server does a setrlimit(NOFILE, 256),
setrlimit(NPROC, 512).  This is fine....  running about 40 nntplink
processes and a variable number of nnrpd processes (50-200), it gives me
reasonable safety margins.  This works great.  :-)

Now, my cron jobs start failing because I've exceeded the 40 process default
user limit.  How do I bump this up and make it a default for all processes?
I really don't see an obvious way other than to override CHILD_MAX and
OPEN_MAX (but I would be delighted if you could show me a better way!)
I don't WANT artificial limits on my news server, limits such as memoryuse,
descriptors, and maxproc just wind up being a nuisance that have to be
worked around.  memoryuse in particular is rather insidious because it
doesn't cause any crashes, it just causes the swap rates for large processes
to go nutso - I've worked around this by spawning off wrapper csh's and
doing "unlimit" before running my expires.

> #ifdef DODUMP
> #warning "bogus option DODUMP, fix your configuration and RTFM dodump(8)"
> #endif

Thank you for any insights,

... Joe