Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 1995 10:29:27 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        graichen@dirac.physik.fu-berlin.de, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: want your comments

> >i just want to ask around for pros's and con's of the following things
> >i plan to commit:
> >
> >* /usr/bin/newsyslog - this automates the "rotation" of the log files
> >  and can replace our "rotation by hand" in the

One comment on old log files. Usually people has /var/log in the
root partition. There are good reasons for this (so that boot
messages and the like can be written as soon as root is mounted),
but the root partition tends to fill up, and old log files take a
lot of space, especially on busy systems. However, they do not need
to reside in the root partition. Thus, the configuration file should
also provide a way to specify the place where the old logs should
go.

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/