Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 1995 15:58:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        gcrutcher@datatrek.com (Gary Crutcher)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: usernames > 8 chars

> I have changed a few defines to allow user names > 8 chars and rebuilt my
> kernel.  I also changed the adduser script. I can chgrp, but cannot chown.
> I get an illegal user name error.  Also, I cannot login with the new name.
>
> Did I forget to do something?

Yeah.  You have to rebuild everything that use the pwent structure.  The
easiest thing to do is to rebuild everything.  One of the constants is
the length of the name field in the struct.

The other thing you forot was to kiss NIS goodbye, sinc it has some wire
traffic specific limits on how big a name can be.  So if you expect to
interoperate with anyone else's NIS implementation, you'll be out of luck.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.