Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 1995 15:25:58 -0800
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: how to "fix" more(1) vs termcap/terminfo?

Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au> wrote:

> Scott Blachowicz stands accused of saying:
> >
> > This has been annoying me for a while, so...if I page something with 'more'
> > (as found in my 2.1.0-950928-SNAP system and 2.0.5-RELEASE too, I think) with
> > my $TERM set to "xterm", it just runs past the end of the file without waiting
> > for a prompt or anything.  Is there any way to get it to ALWAYS prompt at EOF
> > (even for files smaller than one screen in length)?
>
> Your screen size is set incorrectly.  Run the 'resize' command to fix it,
> and use less if you want to pause at EOF.

I already do all that.  Let's try doing it "manually" to make sure it is
getting done...

    scott@block:~> eval `/usr/X11R6/bin/resize`
    scott@block:~> wc -l foo.c
           3 foo.c
    scott@block:~> more foo.c
[NOTE: I see the screen flash with no pausing and without being able to
       see the contents of foo.c]
    scott@block:~> echo $MORE
    MORE: Undefined variable.
    scott@block:~> stty -a
    speed 9600 baud; 41 rows; 80 columns;
    lflags: icanon isig iexten echo echoe echok echoke -echonl echoctl
            -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho pendin -nokerninfo
            -extproc
    iflags: istrip icrnl -inlcr -igncr ixon -ixoff ixany imaxbel ignbrk
            brkint -inpck -ignpar -parmrk
    oflags: opost onlcr -oxtabs
    cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd hupcl -clocal -cstopb -crtscts -dsrflow
            -dtrflow -mdmbuf
    cchars: discard = ^O; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
            eol2 = <undef>; erase = ^H; intr = ^C; kill = ^U; lnext = ^V;
            min = 1; quit = ^\; reprint = ^R; start = ^Q; status = <undef>;
            stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; time = 0; werase = ^W;
    scott@block:~> echo $SHELL
    /usr/local/bin/tcsh
    scott@block:~>

> > Or, if that's not possible, how do I tweak my termcap/terminfo entries
> > to disable the screen contents save/restore?>
> Remove the ti/te entries from the xterm termcap.

Seems to me that it's a bug in 'more' for it to continue past EOF without
a pause in the presence of ti/te entries that cause the screen to be
cleared.  I don't know how it would be able to tell that the ti/te entries
clear the screen.  Maybe 'more' should just have an option that causes it
to always pause at EOF (like 'less').  This is cute...I'd gotten into the
habit [on other platforms] of using 'more' when I DIDN'T want the ti/te
stuff and 'less' when I DID want the ti/te - on FreeBSD they both use
ti/te.

Thanx!

Scott Blachowicz    Ph: 206/283-8802x240    StatSci, a div of MathSoft, Inc.
                                            1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                           Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org