Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 1995 11:58:58 -0800
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        Carey Nairn <cp_nairn@cc.utas.edu.au>
Cc:        Roland Jay Roberts <jay@map.com>, questions@freebsd.org, blair@strech.cyber-naut.com
Subject:   Re: Too much swap?????

Carey Nairn <cp_nairn@cc.utas.edu.au> wrote:

> Probably better if the swap partition is > 2*RAM... I have 16MB RAM and
> 32 MB swap and keep running out.   The 32MB swap partition is a hangover
> from when I had 8MB RAM... one day I'll have to bite the bullet and
> increase my swap space.

I keep hearing that "2*RAM" guideline, but the problem is that your swap
space requirement isn't [directly] related to the amount of RAM in your
system.  It is related to how much stuff you want to run simultaneously
and how much memory all you stuff needs to run.

You might be able to come up with some guideline that says something along
the lines of "your system performance will become 'unacceptable' if your
swap space is less than N times the amount of RAM".  But 'unacceptable' is
subjective and it still depends on what you are running.  If you run 4Mb
of stuff on a system with 16Mb of RAM, it doesn't matter how much swap
space you have.

Scott Blachowicz    Ph: 206/283-8802x240    StatSci, a div of MathSoft, Inc.
                                            1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                           Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org