Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 1995 09:39:28 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        "Frank ten Wolde" <franky@pinewood.nl>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Order of rules in ip_fw chain

> > > 2) I noticed that the order in which the fw checks incoming packets is
> > >    *not* the same as the order in which the packet rules were added.
> > >    IMHO this should be fixed.  I have not had the time (yet) to have
> > >    a look at the source myself, but will do so in the next few weeks.
> >
> > Ugen was supposed to be working on this a while back.  I agree that
> > something should be done.  His work was going to allow 'priority' based
> > rules, which I agree would be a good thing.  Either that or allow the
> > rules to be listed in the same order in the kernel as they are added.
> > But, you'd need a way to modify the list in non-secure mode, so I think
> > the priority based approach is probably more flexible.
>
> Tell me more about 'priority' based rules, I don't grasp the basic idea
> behind it (could be because it's Friday late-afternoon :-).

Basically, with priority based rules, you attach a 'priority' on the
rule which causes this ruls to be placed above all other rules with
a higher priority number.  (I'm assuming that priority 0 is the highest
priority simply because it's easier to deal with a fixed upper limit
than a fixed lower limit in these schemes)

So, if a rule is added that has priority 4, it will be placed *after*
any other rules with priorities 0-3.  This allow you to set global
filters which filter our *all* traffic of a certain kind no matter what
the content is, and also allow you to add a new filter rule at a later
date on the fly (assuming the security level is ok) to lock out traffic
from a hacker site, knowing that it will be placed above any other
filter rules which may allow certain types of traffic.

This is great for stopping mail spamming and such.  Normally, I allow
*any* incoming traffic to the smtp port, but if I start getting mail
bombed (by accident or otherwise), with priority rules I can add a new
rule-set on the fly to block smtp traffic from a particular host which
has a higher priority than my previous version.

Finally, while I agree that not allowing the filtering rules is a good
thing, I'm of the opinion that it's much better to allow changing it
without having to reboot the system.  I have a pretty good set of rules,
but there are occasions when I need to open up the firewall to 'trusted'
hosts, and I'd rather not bring down my Internet connection to do it.

Nate