Date:      Sat, 30 Dec 1995 15:16:12 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        dgy@rtd.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot from sd1?

>     For 2.1.0R, given:
>wd0 -- MS-DOG
>wd1 -- FBSD 2.1.0R
>sd0 -- *more* MS-DOG stuff
>sd1 -- FBSD 2.1.0R (a *different* filesystem hierarchy)
>    How do I manage to boot from sd1?  It seems that wd1 intercepts
>whatever incantation I use (sd1, hd1, etc.)

This configuration isn't supported by the standard bootblocks.

If the BIOS supports sd1, then you can boot from it after changing
an 0 to a 1 in the bootblock source or binary.  Then boot by typing
hd(n,a)/kernel, where `n' is the BIOS number of the drive.  `n'
might be 3 for the above configuration.  hd(n,a) now forces the
FreeBSD unit to 0 so it only works for wd0 and sd0.

Bruce