Date:      Mon, 1 Jan 1996 15:26:28 +0100 (MET)
From:      Thomas Graichen <graichen@omega.physik.fu-berlin.de>
To:        dfr@nlsys.demon.co.uk (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bmaked libg++-2.7.1

hasn't Doug Rabson said ? ...

... and _please_ send all the changes required to compile gcc and
libg++ directly from FSF back to the FSF - so that the next version
would compile out of the box (without a dozen of patches to get g++
working correctly) - i think things like enabled weak symbols in the
freebsd.h config file of the vanilla FSF distribution while the
FreeBSD as doesn't suppoert weak symbols are very bad - it would be
much better if we would send all the changes required we find back to
the FSF so that you can also compile any new gcc out of the box
without aplying a dozen of _old_ patches

> I just spent an afternoon hacking phk's gnu2bmake scripts for libg++-2.6
> to work for libg++-2.7.1.  Since libg++ now supports the ANSI C++
> library (libstdc++) as a separate library, my scripts create two
> directories, libstdc++ which includes the ANSI C++ library, and iostream
> stuff, and libg++ with all the other random rubbish.
>
> To create the bmaked versions, hack the scripts to have the right
> pathnames, point them at a fresh copy of libg++-2.7.1 and execute them
> with tclsh.
>
> I compiled the monster on a fairly vanilla FreeBSD-2.1 with gcc-2.7.2
> (with Bruces patch as posted on 25 Dec 1995).  It appears to work; in
> particular, the shared version passes all of the libg++ tests.  I have
> not run a make world with the new libg++ installed.
>
> With a bit of luck and a following wind, this should drop straight into
> the source tree when (if) we move up to a new rev of gcc.

                                                   __||
  Perfection is reached, not when there is no  __||     thomas graichen
  longer anything to add, but when there   __||    freie universitaet berlin
  is no longer anything to take away   __||           fachbereich physik
                                   __||
  - Antoine de Saint-Exupery - __||        graichen@mail.physik.fu-berlin.de