Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 1996 00:31:06 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@vector.jhs.local>
To:        Brian Clapper <bmc@willscreek.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, gj@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: popclient-2.21

Hi, Reference:
> From: Brian Clapper <bmc@willscreek.com>
>
> I installed the popclient port on my machine, but it wouldn't work when I
> tried to get it to bring mail into my mail box.  It worked fine, though, if
> I brought the mail into a local file (via the `-o' option). After a bit of
> poking, I found that it was trying to invoke `/bin/mail' to deliver mail to
> the mailbox when `-o' wasn't specified.  I suspect that's a System V-ism;
> to my knowledge, no BSD system has used `/bin/mail' to deliver mail for
> quite awhile--if ever.  Anyway, I changed the source to use
> `/usr/libexec/mail.local' to deliver the mail, and it worked just fine
> after that.
>
> The fix requires a simple edit of `config.h'.  I've enclosed an appropriate
> patch.

Yes, we need to create a ports/mail/popclient/patches/patch-aa of some form.

I have been running popclient with a somewhat similar patch reccomended
by Gary J, basically:
< #define  MDA_PATH     "/bin/mail"
> #define  MDA_PATH     "/usr/bin/mail"

I didnt bother to change MDA_ALIAS or MDA_ARGS though (not saying they
shouldnt be though, just haven't looked at them)

After someone decides if MDA_PATH should be
	"/usr/bin/mail" or "/usr/libexec/mail.local"
then a ports/mail/popclient/patches/patch-aa should be commited.

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/