Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 1996 20:15:47 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        cimaxp1!jb@werple.net.au (John Birrell)
Cc:        sri.MT.net!nate@werple.net.au, time.cdrom.com!jkh@werple.net.au, FreeBSD.ORG!current@werple.net.au
Subject:   Re: I'm rather annoyed with -current.

> I agree with this. The changes are not bugs in the -current code committed.
> Instead they show up a bogus build process.

[ ... ]

> It is not simply a matter of using -nostdinc, -nostdlib and -nostartfiles
> although these are still needed. There are too many race conditions
> in the software design. Look at the build process and you will see that
> it only works at all because it tries to install *all* header files up
> front regardless of what their dependencies are. Normally this is OK,
> but in the rpcgen case it is not (though no fault of the rpcgen code).

The header files should be used from the uninstalled locations in the
source tree instead of the installed locations.

The use of the RPC headers needs to depend on the generated header files
in an "obj" directory that is also not installed.  The problem here is
defining global rules causing the creation of missing files (ie: .h
targets as opposed to sources).

I think there is a need for an incremental build.  For instance, I want
to rebuild and install the world from sources on a read-only/remote/CDROM
volume, but I don't have enough space for a full obj tree.

These are competing goals, but it doesn't mean that compromise isn't
possible.  Specifically, the build environment needs to be seperated
from the target environment, and thee needs to be at least two target
environments (1 == kernel, 2 == ...).

I would be happy to be able to delete one .obj file and have only the
necessary things rebuilt (lib if it's used in a library, everything
that uses the lib if it's static, etc., etc.).

> [Stands up on soap box to begin preaching... I've been flamed by NetBSD
> folk for saying what I'm about to, but I'll say it anyway. 8-)]

You're elected. }B-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---