Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 13:35:52 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@tribe.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My NCR810 dies on -stable, -current, but not 2.1.0-release

On Feb 26, 15:08, Archie Cobbs wrote:
}
} > On Feb 26,  0:37, "Brian Litzinger" wrote:
} > } Subject: My NCR810 dies on -stable, -current, but not 2.1.0-release
} > } Earlier I reported that my NCR 810 PCI controllers was locking up
} > } after the 'changing root device to sd0a'.
} > }
} > } I happened to wait for about 30 seconds with the system stuck and
} > } got this message:
} > }
} > } changing root device to sd0a
} > } [about 30 second delay]
} > } ncr0: aborting job ...
} > } ncr0:1: ERROR (90:0) (8-0-0) (0/13) @ (c84:50000000).
} > }         script cmd = 740a8700
} > }         reg:     de 00 00 13 47 00 06 1f 35 08 00 00 90 00 0f 02.
} > } ncr0: restart (fatal error)
} > } sd0(ncr0:0:0) COMMAND FAILED (9 ff) @f0a21800.
} > } sd0(ncr0:0:0) FAST SCSI-2 100ns (10 Mb/sec) offset 8.
} > } panic: cannot mount root
} >
} > No, but I'm surprised you see a difference
} > between 2.1R and -stable ...
}
} In trying to do an installation of 2.1R the other day from a SCSI
} CD-ROM (TEAC cd-50) to a SCSI disk, a very similar error (visible on
} virtual terminal #2) prevented the installation from ever getting beyond
} about 15-20% of the bin distribution (I made several attempts).

Hmm, if it works at all, then it really should
work all the way ... Except if there are problems
with the SCSI bus cable/terminators, for example,
which cause random errors.

} I tried a different CD-ROM (a generic quad speed) and everything worked.
} The original double speed cd-rom is a lot older and probably just
} sucks in general. The door gets jammed sometimes too. I think I'm going
} to throw it away.

Ok. There is one difference between 2.1 and 2.0.5:
Due to a oversight, CDROMs were used with synch.
transfers under 2.1, while only asynch. transfers
had been used for them under a GENERIC 2.0.5 kernel.

} I don't have the exact screen output, but it looked very similar and I
} definately remember the "ncr0: restart (fatal error)" line. The motherboard
} is an ASUS SP3-G motherboard (with a rev 2 ncr chip). Sorry I don't have
} more details right now, but FWIW...

Well, the hardware should be supported better than
anything else, since this is the development base
for the PCI and NCR code :)

The problem you describe can be caused by roo many
terminators, for example, and it is well possible
that slower transfers still work, but that FAST
transfers suffer ...

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160