Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 14:14:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        strauss@dkrz.de, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Soundblaster 16 isn't recognized

> You need to disable Plug and Play on that card or port to keep the PnP
> hardware for moving the card around on you.  FreeBSD does not take well
> to hardware not being where it thinks.
>
> Until someone programs PnP support into fbsd, that is. (hint? no.)

It is impossible to be 100% non-destructive in an ISA Plug-N-Play
probe sequence.

This is beacause the PnP specification dictates the use of ports used
by early IBM parallel port boards.

The best win for real PnP will be the death of ISA.

Barring that, you will *always* have to manually configure some
hardware/kernel seetings for *some* machine *somewhere*.

8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---