Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 1996 09:04:32 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Jesper Hagen <hagen@iesd.auc.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Urgent problem with ATI Graphics Expression.

[ ATI cards ]

> Right now we have just received a new bunch of the cards which simply
> blanks the screen at the moment when the FreeBSD kernel has been
> loaded and starts probing for devices. This screen remains blank until
> the machine reboots. In other words, not even TEXT MODE is possible
> under FreeBSD with this new shipment.

It's only partially the cards fault.  It uses the same port as
COM4/sio3, so what you'll want to do is disable the sio probe by booting
with '-c' at the boot prompt, and then upgrade your sources to -stable
which fixes this problem by removing the automagic probe of sio3 from
the generic sio probe.

Nate