Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 10:34:26 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        drosos@abrdr.dreo.dnd.ca (Tasos Drosopoulos)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help ??

Tasos Drosopoulos stands accused of saying:

> I've been using linux for the past 2 years (currently Slackware 3.0)
> and generally am quite happy with it. However, I just got a new 4.3
> GB hard-drive, and decided to try out FreeBSD. I tried to install
> the minimal installation, (bin) to see if it works.

It would help to know which version you were trying to install.

> 1. On the fresh SCSI hard disk (Seagate Hawk4) with the default settings
>    on my new SCSI card (Buslogic 956C) I first made a couple of Linux
>    partitions. I then went through the novice installation procedure and
>    it seemed to go OK. I did not install anything on the boot manager,
>    expecting to see an option for a boot floppy later on.

No boot floppy required; the install disk has the bootstrap on it.
The Buslogic controller was an unfortunate choice.

> 2. After the installation, I checked the disk and there seemed to be
>    overlap partition errors. Going back, I enabled the >1GB option on the
>    SCSI card BIOS, remade the Linux partitions and tried again to install
>    FreeBSD. This time I get correct disk geometry, but end up with a
>    panic message "vm_alloc" and the system reboots.

If you're trying to install the latest SNAP release, this is a known bogon,
and you should hold off until the next one.

> 3. Any advice/suggestions on above? BTW is there a way to boot by floppy
>    after system installation, or do I have to choose the bootmanager
>    option? And how to I pass parameters to the kernel to recognize my
>    128MB RAM (it seems to see only 64)?

Presuming you have two SCSI disks, boot the installation floppy and at the
Boot: prompt type sd(1,a)/kernel.

Installing the boot manager is a much better idea, IMHO.

You need to read the handbook section on MAXMEM; basically the line

options		"MAXMEM=131072"

in the kernel config file and a kernel rebuild will do the trick.