Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 1996 15:18:55 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        "Jay L. West" <jlwest@tseinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help!! Severe PPP problems!

> After a fresh boot everything runs great for from 30 minutes to 2 hours
> roughly. Then I notice via systat -pigs and ps -aux that the ppp daemon
> running the connection to our provider starts using 124% of the cpu.

You're using PPP on 2.0.5 on a dedicated line?  That's scary! :)

> problems. Sometimes systat will say segmentation fault. The ppp link via
> ISDN to our provider is running at 155200k baud on a 16550 UART. We're
> running 2.0.5 on a 486dx4/100 with 16mb of RAM.

Hmmmmm...

> generated the message 'no buffer space available' I set NMBCLUSTERS to 1500
> and then later set it to 2048. I have spent two days trying to trouble shoot
> the problem and customers are getting upset (there's a euphamism ): ).

*grin*

> Any help would be very very very much appreciated. We may try to
> upgrade with a fresh install to 2.1 if that would help. Does anyone
> have any ideas? Please?

My suggestion is to upgrade to -stable and run pppd in a shell loop if
you are running a dedicated service.  However, the ppp program in
-stable should be better, and may solve your problems *IF* you want to
stick with it.

Nate