Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 1996 10:39:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Shaun Finn <sfinn@thecore.com>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More X question.

> > Hello all.
> > I'm not so "new" in X but one question remains unanwerd.
> >
> > 1) After starting netscape, when I try to start some X programs (xpaint,
> > for example) the program complains: No more colors .....
> >
> > Question: Is there a way to increase the color map in the X server?
> >
> > Thanks a lot..
>
> You can start the X server with -bpp 16 giving you another type of
> visual (not 256 indexed values but 32768 direct colors - maybe wrong
> just estimated 32*32*32 :-) at the cost of resolution unless you have
> a lot of (4MB) memory in you graphics card.
>

> --Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de

I believe Netscape also supports a "-install" cmdline option that
allows it to have its own cmap at the expense of colors flashing
when you move your pointer in and out of the window.

| Shaun M. Finn                    TechnoCore Communications, Inc. |
| sfinn@thecore.com                P.O. Box 106                    |
| (908)928-7400 FAX:(908)928-7402  Jackson, NJ 08527-0106          |