Date:      Thu, 04 Apr 1996 15:31:16 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
Cc:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>, root@deadline.snafu.de (Andreas S. Wetzel), current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: tty-level buffer overflows - what to do?

: With 2 lines going full blast (sup updates!) I see *NO* overflows on my
: box.  Again, my box is running with about 6MB of free memory all the
: time, so I rarely hit the disk, but I've done compiles on the machine to
: upgrade software with no noticeable degradation of serial speed.

We have 4 SLIP lines going full blast from time to time on our 386
DX-40 (with 387 math co) 8M memory and a 40MB IDE drive.  There is
also a SMC Ethernet card to boot that all of our mail and news travels
out of.  While there is little disk activity, we've never had a
overflow in our logs.  All the internal modems that we use have 16550A
UARTs on them (or clones).  This is a 1.1.5.1R system, but I doubt
that matters.  All of the serial lines are locked at 115200 bps.

Warner