Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 1996 12:49:40 +1000
From:      George Scott <George.Scott@cc.monash.edu.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /var/mail default permissions??

>> I thought /var/mail was supposed to be mode 1777 on BSD systems??
>
>    No. This would allow someone to create a bogus mailbox on behalf of someone
> else (assuming one didn't yet exist) that could then be read by people other
> than the intended recipient.
>    This issue has been thrashed out many times before...

I have seen this type of thing many times in the past.  Someone asks "Shouldn't
X be set to Y instead of Z" and the answer is "No, Z is correct because ....".

This indicates, to me, a documentation problem.  I would be the first to admit
that I'm not good at documenting things, but that doesn't stop me throwing
stones!

I think that every time we have one of these 24 hour debates a comment should
be added to the source code (or where ever is appropriate) indicating why
things are the way they are.  This would save much effort in the future when
someone else asks the same question.

For this particular example a good place might be in /etc/mtree/BSD.var.dist
and the comment something along the lines of:

# /var/mail shouldn't be 1777 since this would allow someone to create a bogus
# mailbox on behalf of someone that could then be read by others.

George.
--
George Scott, Caulfield Computer Centre, Monash University
Email: George.Scott@cc.monash.edu.au