Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 1996 10:21:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jeffrey Wheat <jeff@tad.cetlink.net>
To:        CombsSF@salem.ge.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USRobotic 28.8 vi Modem Troubles

> > Subject: USRobotic 28.8 vi Modem Troubles
> >
> > Hello!
> > I am looking for some info to get a 28.8 Sportster VI  modem to make
> > connection and stay online with out loosing carrier. Unless the modem
> > makes a 14.4 connection it looses carrier when I call the Internet there
> > seems to be a compatibility problem does anyone know where it is? Is it
> > my modem or the modem at the other end? I am getting frustrated and have
> > contacted USRobotics and it hasn't helped and the guy on the Server at
> > my connection says it's my modem, apparently there was a problem with
> > older USRobotic 28.8's but it's not supposed to be a problem with the
> > new ones...

If you do in fact have an older model of the USR 28.8 (the chipset has an
id with 007 in somewhere, you will have problems. From the USR's that I've
worked with, there is a problem with connecting to other 28.8's as the older
USR uses V.FC instead of V.34. If you establish a V.FC connection, the first
bit of line-noise will drop your connection. This is because of the way that
the V.FC protocol works. You can upgrade your modem to V.34 for about 29.95
from USR or if you want, you can spend a couple of dollars more and get it
upgraded to 36.6. Call USR for details. They'll take your credit card and
mail you a chip to drop into the modem. Note though, I've been waiting almost
3 weeks now for a few of these upgrades...

-jeff