Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 1996 13:03:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Craig Shaver" <craig@seabass.progroup.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Changing ID of 2940UW + ncr too ???

> > * Are all of those disks wide?  You can't put the controller's ID
> > :
> > * put the controller at ID 7... so it tends to win arbitration.
> >
> >I know that.... ;)
> >
> > * >All disks are found fine if I set the adapter's ID to 7 (well I need
> > * >to pull out one of the disks but that's it).
> > *
> > * You had to pull one because it is narrow I would guess?
> >
> >No, because it's in an enclosure and I can't change the ID easily.  We
> >don't have any narrow-SCSI devices on our system.
> >
> > * Not that I know of.  Try setting the ID to something else, like 3.  It
> > * should still work.
> >
> >Ok, will try that tomorrow.  Thanks.

I tried to use both the narrow and wide channels of a tyan ncr825 controller,
and had problems when I set the wide drives to id's higher than 7.  I got
errors on the wide drive and some of the errors had a 7 in the message.  I
was not able to save any of the error messages because the system would
just freeze up and I forgot to write them down.  I have a hunch it may be
related to this.

> When I was looking through the Adaptec PCI device probe I noticed you
> were only using anding the HBA device ID with 0x7 and stuffing it into
> SCSICONF and SCSICONF + 1.  Shouldn't it be anded with 0xf?
>
> Dan Eischen
> deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org
>
> *** aic7870.c.orig      Tue Apr 16 06:58:43 1996
> --- aic7870.c   Tue Apr 16 06:59:01 1996
> ***************
> *** 474,480 ****
>
>                 host_id = sc.brtime_id & CFSCSIID;
>
> !               scsi_conf = (host_id & 0x7);
>                 if(sc.adapter_control & CFSPARITY)
>                         scsi_conf |= ENSPCHK;
>
> --- 474,480 ----
>
>                 host_id = sc.brtime_id & CFSCSIID;
>
> !               scsi_conf = (host_id & 0xf);
>                 if(sc.adapter_control & CFSPARITY)
>                         scsi_conf |= ENSPCHK;

How does the ncr controller handle high id's and mixing id's on a wide
controller with dual channels?  It recognizes 825's and 875's ok.  I have
one of each.  I can help with testing if needed.

Thanks,

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088