Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 12:31:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        bmc@telebase.com
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-960323-SNAP and `top'

 * Hopefully I've chosen the right mailing lists to which to send this FYI.

It should have been directed to -ports and -ports only, sending mail
to multiple open lists is unnecessary unless it's an announcement or
something.

 * I installed 2.2-960323-SNAP on my home machine (a 486/66 IDE-disked box)
 * and my work machine (a Pentium/150 SCSI-disked box).  In both cases, once a
 * 2.2 kernel was up and running, top(1) broke.  Every invocation of top
 * produced a seg fault.  Reinstalling the top-3.3 package from the Walnut
 * Creek 2.2-960323-SNAP CD/ROM didn't fix the problem.  Building and
 * installing the top-3.3 port, however, *did* fix it.

It is because the program "top" depends heavily on the kernel you are
running.  The old one was for your old kernel; the one in the CDROM
was probably old too, maybe the time I did a rebuild of top wasn't
close enough to the snap press, sorry.

Satoshi