Date:      Sat, 11 May 1996 13:32:31 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG, nisha@cs.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: some more on fast bcopy

>I got a panic from -current during a make world last night.  Here it is:

>===
>>> gdb -k kernel.1 vmcore.1
>GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
> under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
>There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
>GDB 4.13 (i386-unknown-freebsd),
>Copyright 1994 Free Software Foundation, Inc...(no debugging symbols found)...
>IdlePTD 202000
>current pcb at 1edcbc
>panic: FPU device not available      <<<<<=======!!!

I think this is caused by the FPU probe failing.  It only happens when
npxdna() returns 0, and npxdna() only returns 1 if the probe failed.
bcopy() is sure to be called at boot time before the npx0 probe, and
this might foul the probe.  There must be another bug for the crash to
be so long delayed.

Bruce