Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 10:16:29 -0700
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Bryan Ogawa at Work <bogawa@netvoyage.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tropez Plus card -- support for FreeBSD?

> I'm trying to figure out if the Tropez Plus card (from turtle beach) is
> supported by FreeBSD.  It's advertised as Soundblaster/Soundblaster Pro
> compatible, as well as having an MPU-401 compatible MIDI interface.

Just configure it as an SB.  Check out LINT for details.

> Unfortunately, since I don't know much about PC sound hardware, this
> doesn't translate well for me (I presume that FreeBSD will support the
> Soundblaster / Soundblaster Pro parts of this card, but does the
> Soundblaster AWE32 have higher-quality supported modes)?

It supports the digital audio only.  It won't use the Emu 6000 on the awe.

> Specifically, in terms of quality, how do the supported sound systems for
> FreeBSD rate?
>
> e.g.
>
> Gravis ? <-- Highest Quality
>
> Soundblaster
> Adlib    <-- Lowest Quality

The Gravis is the most RECOMMENDED card, at least for mbone usage, as we can
get it in full duplex.  The soundblaster series is next for pure
compatibility.  I don't have a GUS (yet) so I don't know if FreeBSD can use
the midi functionality on it or not.

Well, as far as I understand, FreeBSD is targeted at supporting the digital
audio in/out mainly, over the music portions.  Some MIDI support is available
through the sbmidi device, but I don't know what components that uses.