Date:      Tue, 28 May 1996 00:11:40 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Tomas Klockar <dateck@ludd.luth.se>
To:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        dateck@ludd.luth.se, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI hostadapter

According to Stefan Esser:
> On May 24,  7:51, Tomas Klockar wrote:
> } Subject: Re: SCSI hostadapter
> } According to Terry Lambert:
> } > > I have a SCSI host adapter which I would like to use in freebsd
> } > > The brand is NexStor NXT-82
> } > > Its a VL-Bus FAST SCSI-2 Host adapter
> } > > Its using a a NCR 53C700-66 curcuit
> } > > It memorymaps the data.
> } >=20
> } > I believe the NCR 53c7xx series (I don't recognize the "53C700-66"
> } > in particular, though) are not supported because they are very
> } > low end components, for which no one has written a driver.
> } >=20
> } > These are the same chips in AMD SCSI/Net ethernet/SCSI chips on
> } > the motherboard of some Compaq systems.
> } >=20
> } > You should use another card (~US$75 for an NCR 8xx series, one
> } > of the best available), or write a driver (for which you will need
> } > another working machine, or another card, and docs for the 7xx
> } > chips; on the plus side, yyou should be able to use the 8xx
> } > driver as a template).
> }
> } I looked around last night and linux seems to have support for this chip
> } and all the other 7xx so i got all thier source for it, but i still could=
> } =20
> } need some help while writing a deviced driver.
>
> No!
>
> Linux does not support the 53c700,
> though it knows about the 53c710.
>
> (Support for the 53c710 could be
> added to FreeBSD with little effort,
> too.)
>
> The 700 is a very early version
> with reduced capabilities. It is
> far inferior to the 710 (and the
> 810), and though the latter are
> upwards compatible to the 700, the
> 700 will need several driver changes
> to be supported by the NCR driver
> in either *BSD or Linux.
>
> } I just think it's better to suport as many cards as its possible to.
>
> Yes, sure. But since these 53c700
> controllers have been used only in
> very few PC systems (mostly in the
> i386 time frame), it is hardly worth
> the effort.
It seemed that it supported that. I found several patches. Well if you say
so then your probebly right. I haven't digged in to it.
I have a dump of my SCSI BIOS, in both hex and assembler.
One of the reasons that I don't want to dump my card is that it has very high
performance. It also have cache on the board. Since its a localbus card I
assumes That its atleast as fast as any PCI card. And as usual its probebly
the SCSIdisc that will be to slow.
It might fix itself during the summer when I would like to upgrade my computer
and I need to change motherboard. Then I need a new SCSIcard.

I still feel like writing a driver but I could use some help from someone.
I don't have the hardware specifications on this NCR53c700-66 chip.
I would appriciate if someone could help me get thoose documents.

/Tomas

--
Tomas Klockar can be found at the following adresses:

Kårhusvägen 4, 2:43  |  Furuvägen 102       |  dateck@ludd.luth.se
977 54 Luleå         |  871 52 Härnösand    |  dateck@solace.mh.se
Tel: +46-920-229391  |  Tel: +46-611-13393  |  d94-tkl@sm.luth.se