Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 1996 23:45:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Craig Huckabee <huck@mispwoso.nosc.mil>
To:        jimd@mistery.mcafee.com (Jim Dennis)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stupid ftpd question

> > 	How can I set up my FreeBSD anonymous ftp server so that it
> > 	defaults to transfer type 'binary' instead of 'ascii'?   I'm using
> > 	wu-ftpd out of the ports collection on a 2.1-RELEASE machine.
> > 	Since everything I will have online will be images (CAD files)
> > 	I want to go ahead and default transfer type to 'binary'.
>
> 	That's not a stupid question at all.
> 	That answer....on the other hand....
>
> 		As far as I know the transfer type is purely a client
> 		side configuration matter.  In other words --
>
> 			I doubt that you can (via ftp).

Here's what makes me think you can :

mispwoso>ftp ftp.freebsd.org
Connected to wcarchive.cdrom.com.
220 wcarchive.cdrom.com FTP server (Version wu-2.4(13) Wed Apr 3 01:05:49 PST 1996) ready.
Name (ftp.freebsd.org:huck): ftp
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password:
230-Welcome to wcarchive - home ftp site for Walnut Creek CDROM.
[SNIP]
230-  it was last modified on Mon Mar 25 20:51:20 1996 - 71 days ago
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.

  Interesting, no?

  --Craig