Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 1996 22:04:11 -0700
From:      "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@Mole.ORG>
To:        terry@lambert.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD works with Cy486DLC processors?

[solutions 1-4 deleted...]
>Hope this clears things up.

Nicely put. There is a fifth solution WRT DMA. Don't use the Cyrix486DLC
with DMA. Just put an IDE or MFM or RLL controller in the box with it and
let it hum away.

Works for me fine with SVR2 ( :-) ) on a 486DLC40 with RLL controller.

However, Eloy has a Cyrix 486DX4/100 (marketspeak) that's misidentified
as a 486DLC. I suspect it's a bad motherboard causing the problem, but
it's only a suspicion. There's the question of why the Cyrix 486DX2/66
that I have behaves wierdly that's in the back of my mind. My Cyrix
486DX2/66 is a SCSI (Adaptec 1542B) system. Runs at 25MHz but not 33MHz.

Easiest solution is use an AMD or Intel chip with a good motherboard, but
what fun would that be? ;-)

--
Mike Murphy  mrm@Mole.ORG  +1 619 598 5874
Better is the enemy of Good