Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 12:30:39 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Sonja Jo Krenz-Bush <begonia@itchy.serv.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help! system crashing 2-4 times a day with vinvalbuf - flush failed

>Our server, which had been running fine for the last 7 months started
>crashing 2-4 times a day this week.  Today, I finally managed to see the
>error message echoed to the console (or part of it).
>
>It said:
>
>vinvalbuf - flush failed
>
>We're running FreeBSD 2.1-STABLE.  This system serves as web server and
>shell access server.  Usually around 6-10 people logged on, most of them
>reading mail and/or news.
>
>Things I have noticed - we've had some unkillable processes that were
>mail related - ie, /usr/bin/mail, pine, RMAIL, etc...   Crashes seem to
>happen when something like this is going on.  In the past, this had
>happened occascionally but never crashed the system.
>
>Things that have changed: our /usr/spool/mail is NFS mounted from the mail
>server.  Earlier this week, the drive on the mail server started giving us
>problems so we replaced it.  The mail server itself isn't having any
>problems since we replaced the disk and is running FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE.

   It's almost a sure bet that NFS is the cause, although I don't know
precisely what would trigger something like this. NFS doesn't do any vnode
locking, so it's easy to imagine how new buffers could get attached during
a flush (causing the panic).

>Is this something that is fixed in 2.1.5R?  Let me know if I need to give
>additional information - I'm not the person who primarily does this but
>wanted to get started on figuring this out right away.

   If the cause is what I think it is, not likely.

-DG

David Greenman