Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 1996 12:54:39 -0400
From:      jc@irbs.com (John Capo)
To:        igor@cs.ibank.ru (Igor Vinokurov)
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp on demand

Quoting Igor Vinokurov (igor@cs.ibank.ru):
> re,
>
> FreeBSD 2.1.5R, ppp user mode. dial-on-demand.
>
> I use ppp to connect to a office via my modem. This seems to work
> fine in that it sets up the IP connection correctly. My problem is
> that after a few hours ppp dies with following lines in ppp.log:
>
> 10-03 21:33:56 [137] Phase: Dead
> dial OK!
> 10-03 21:47:47 [137] SIGHUP
> 10-03 21:47:47 [137] *Connected!
> 10-03 21:47:48 [137] PPP Terminated.

Carrier dropped and ppp exits on SIGHUP.

IMHO, exit on SIGHUP is bogus.  This should be a config option but
no time...

Change signal(SIGHUP, Hangup); in main.c to signal(SIGHUP, SIG_IGN);

Or delete both occurances of this snippet in modem.c:

    if (!(mode & MODE_DEDICATED))
      rstio.c_cflag |= HUPCL;

John Capo                                                   jc@irbs.com
IRBS Engineering                       FreeBSD Servers and Workstations
(954) 792-9551                 Unix/Internet Consulting - ISP Solutions