Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 1996 21:23:24 +0200
From:      Jan-Hein Buhrman <jh@tangram.xs4all.nl>
To:        j@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/1711: kernel logging of signaled processes should be optional

>  As nsayer@kfu.com wrote:

>> kernel logging of signaled processes ("pid 99, uid 0: exited on
>> signal 11 (core dumped)") _really_ should have an option to
>> disable. Really now. If you can comment the source to indicate
>> that some found it annoying (it certainly bugs the hell out of
>> me), you can put an #ifndef in to allow folks to have their
>> choice.

>  I would prefer a sysctl variable for this.

I really liked what rld (the dynamic linker/loader) did on SGI IRIS
systems (perhaps FreeBSD does the same thing, didn't check it :-):

If some shared libraries couldn't be found, an error message was just
shown on your terminal (via syslog), but if the process didn't have a
controlling tty, it was sent to /var/{log,adm}/{messages,SYSLOG} (also
via syslog).

I realize this example demonstrates just a feature of syslog, used in
a userland-proces.

However, to get a `similar' behaviour of this regarding `exit on
signals', the kernel could check if the concerning process is having a
controlling tty, and if not: generate a log-message like it does now,
and when the process _has_ a controlling tty: leaving the
responsibility (of e.g. reporting something) to whatever parent
process is managing it (like a shell does, for instance, saying
`Segmentation fault (core dumped)').

Regards,
-jh