Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 1996 13:40:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   bin/1778: locate.updatedb uses /tmp directory.

The following reply was made to PR bin/1778; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To: jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 22:06:39 +0200

 Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
 >I've been noticing that my locate database updated have been failing
 >lately, and finally bothered to trace through the log file and notice
 >that it was dying on a /: file system full.  It seems to me that TMPDIR
 >should default to /var/tmp for such a temp-space hungry application as
 >this, rather than /tmp.

 It depend how do you configured your system ;-) On most systems
 /var/tmp and /tmp are on the same partition. Some systems use a
 (large) mfs'd /tmp (seems standard on SunOS).

 You can define TMPDIR in /etc/locate.rc (currently, this does not work
 due a missing `export TMPDIR', I will fix this soon)

 hier(4)
      /tmp/    temporary files, usually a mfs(8) memory-based filesystem (the
 	      contents of /tmp are usually NOT preserved across a system re-
 	      boot)

      /var/tmp/	 temporary files that are kept between system reboots

 Wolfram