Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 23:16:38 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Identify this SCSI thing?

Howdy; I was wondering if among all the collectors of odd junk out
there someone could tell me what the following is :

 Hewlett Packard 88396 SCSI/parallel interface.

It's a small plastic unit about 150mm x 100mm x 25mm, with a 50-way
SCSI connector on one end and a DB25 on the other, with markings
indicating that these are the SCSI bus and parallel interface respectively.

Inside is a 6809 and a 5380 in a fairly vanilla arrangement.

Putting it on a SCSI bus doesn't do much; the "online" LED goes out
for a moment when you plug it in but it doesn't show up when you probe
the bus.

My guess is either that it's a SCSI adapter for computers with only
parallel ports for talking to HP scanners, or it's dead...