Date:      Sat, 19 Oct 1996 12:28:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      camattin@ncsu.edu (Chris Mattingly)
To:        muthu@wipsys.soft.net (G Muthukumar Wipro Systems 10964)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebs-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, muthu@wipsys.soft.net (G Muthukumar Wipro Systems 10964)
Subject:   Re: Problem invoking Mosaic

G Muthukumar Wipro Systems 10964 wrote the following about "Problem invoking Mosaic" on Sat Oct 19 19:22:35 1996

> Hi,
>
> 	I am running FreeBSD 2.1.5. I tried installing Mosaic on my
> machine. The installation was completed without any problems. But when I
> tried invoking Mosaic, I get the following error message:
>
> 	ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "libz.so.2.0"
>
> and it fails. I tried installing the precompiled package also. Still I am
> getting the same error message. (I installed the required ports for Mosaic
> already).

I noticed that on my machine too after having installed the June(?)
SNAP.  I then went and feteched the sources myself.  Then, after having
installed the 10-14 SNAP, I noticed that libz had come with it.. odd.

> 	I am using ctwm. Is this a problem, since in the Makefile I see a
> line like this?
>
> 	REQUIRES_MOTIF=yes
>
> 	If this is a problem, can I make Mosaic work with ctwm?

The window manager you use doesn't affect which apps you can run, since
Mosaic also requires motif.. but the kind folks who purchased motif,
link the binaries statically with the motif libs, so that everyone doesn't
have to buy motif.  :)

-Chris
--
Chris Mattingly           | My views are not necessarily those of my employers
camattin@ncsu.edu         |