Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 1996 14:13:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEY! mount -u -o ro / now works!

> who enabled that?
> why was it not announced?
> is there a 'gotcha'?
>
> does it sync everything before changing it to ro?
>
> neat! but , can I trust it?

Check the commit messages.  Jeffrey Hsu might have done it.

If not, beware: it did not formerly work.  I got it working as part
of my mount code changes for integrating root and non-root mount
handling, and pushing root vs. inferior mounting up to the common
code layer (where it belings).  I had to do it for the Win95 version
of the VFS framework, since Win95 insists that FS's be mounted each
on its own virtual root (one FS, one drive letter).  The read-only
mount fix was a side-effect of allowing a mount before fsck to get
the drive ID allocated to the device.

This was part of the code I back-ported and submitted a year ago last
June.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---