Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 1996 08:13:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting up an actively terminated SCSI chain.

> Rodney W. Grimes stands accused of saying:
> >
> > All correct except for one small detail, also make sure the baracuda is
> > suppling termination power on it's own.  It is best to have the term
> > power supplied by the closests device since term power over the scsi
> > cable will invariable have noise on it caused by mutual induction
> > and capacitative coupling in the cable itself.
>
> Heh, I must be getting better then 8)  I answered that one in some
> follow-on mail on the subject - I should have mentioned it up front.
>
> Personally though I'd have been more worried about the inductance of the
> relatively thin wire in the ribbon than mutual inductance, given that
> there are ground conductors either side of TERMPWR.  Regardless, it's
> the best way to go.

Acually your right again, the series inductance of TERMPWR would have
far more effect on the stability of an active termination regulator
as the current load changes than any noise coupled via mutual inductance.

Hummm... maybe we had better move this to some ``ee'' mail list, and
run a few spice jobs to see just what 6 feet of 26 awg strip line
ribbon cable does to the TERMPWR signal when you draw the current for
an active terminator regulator at the end of it and switch the data bus
rail to rail...... :-)

Anyone have a good strip line model for spectra cable????

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD