Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 12:03:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at, scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD support for Adaptec/Buslogic drivers

> In message <199610311654.IAA04790@GndRsh.aac.dev.com> "Rodney
> W. Grimes" writes:
> : They are not all equal, the ``cheap'' ones use passive termination,
> : the good ones (ASUS SC-200 and many others) use active termination.
>
> That brings up a question that I've been meaning to ask for a long
> time.  Can someone tell me the difference between active and passive
> termination, or point me at something that does?  In addition, why
> would I want one over the other?

A passive terminator connects each data line via a 220 ohm resistor to
TERMPWR (+5v) and via a 330 ohm resistor to ground.  This prevents
signal "bounce" at the end of the wire, much like Ethernet 10base2
terminators or many other signals that work at high frequencies.

The disadvantage is that TERMPWR may not be a real good +5v source...
and this can cause some fluctuation of ALL your SCSI bus signals!

An active terminator uses a regulator to provide a "better" 2.85 volt
regulated source and then wires each signal to this stable voltage
source.  This is OK as long as TERMPWR isn't total garbage (but at that
point you are in other kinds of pain anyways).

A FPT (Forced Perfect Termination) terminator uses multiple regulators
and some diodes to perform some clamping tricks to help minimize
overshoot and undershoot.  Don't ask me for more of an explanation as
I only understand the general idea of what it is trying to accomplish.

A SLICK terminator is some sort of modified FPT terminator that I do
not know much about (but I've seen 'em).

Anybody know of any sources for SLICK terminators?

... Joe

Joe Greco - Systems Software Engineer, UNIX/Network Hacker, Etc.   414/362-3308
Marquette Electronics, Inc. - R&D - Milwaukee, WI                jgreco@mei.com