Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 1996 20:02:19 +0000
From:      nik@blueberry.co.uk (Nik Clayton)
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Webcam -- requirements -- suggestions

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about putting together a web camera. Yeah, I know, boring,
been done and all that, but what the hey. And I want to do it properly.

Which means, I think, I need to flexible.

If I wanted to present people with a page from which they could

  - Choose to kick off nv to receive live video over the MBone

  - Or run CUSeeMe locally to get the same

  - Allow browsers to download the last minute's worth of video as an
    MPEG

  - Or get server pushed JPEGs (with appropriate options to set size,
    # colours, compression rate and so on)

what would be the kit of choice for the discerning PC owner with a copy
of FreeBSD and some money to burn?

After poking around the web, the Matrox Meteor pops up in discussion a lot.
I like the look of this card, but I notice from the specs at Matrox that
it doesn't do on card MPEG compression, which would be handy if I was
planning on doing MPEG in real time. . .

I also note that I should avoid PPro systems with the Orion chipset,
because of PCI bus speed problems.

Any comments for an aspiring broadcaster?

--+=[ Blueberry Hill                  Blueberry New Media                ]=+--
--+=[ http://www.blueberry.co.uk/     1/9 Chelsea Harbour Design Centre, ]=+--
--+=[ WebMaster@blueberry.co.uk       London, England, SW10 0XE          ]=+--
--+=[     Where am I going?  And what am I doing in this handbasket?     ]ENTP