Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 1996 14:26:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bad news: kind-of about page coloring

As some of you know, I just got a PP motherboard (mostly to be able
to work on SMP in the near future.)  For now, I just have one processor,
and have been studying it (in relation to FreeBSD.)  As I kind-of expected
due to the 4 way 2nd level cache on the PP, the page coloring code appears
to be more of a hinderance than an advantage.  I did find a significant
improvement on the Pentium though.  Just to let you know, I am going to
make the coloring code work by setting itself up at runtime as opposed
to compile time.  The coloring code does have a liability of messing up
our page caching stats (a little bit), but since the the PP cache is
4 way associative, we don't need the coloring nearly as much.  So, IMO,
coloring appears to be generally bad on the PPro.

John