Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 12:49:59 -0500
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@plexuscom.com>
To:        pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: [comp.os.linux.announce] xpdf 0.6 - a PDF viewer for X

> IMHO native ports always have precedence over Linux´s binaries. I
> believe all good software should be made available for FreeBSD natively:
> we shouldn´t encourage Linux´s development! (I don´t have anything
> against LINUX..I only hate Microsoft 8*) )

No doubt we should encourage that all good software be made
available `natively'.  But the reality is that _actually_ convincing
people can take a long time (->infinity).  In the mean time I'd
rather use a good tool on whatever platform if it meets my needs.
Especially if it can be made to run on FreeBSD in some fashion.  And
acroread is very good (but that should *not* be seen as a
discouragement to work/port/improve xpdf).

Also, as Jordan pointed out, the LINUX user community is way bigger
than FreeBSD's and software vendors are more likely provide LINUX
binaries than FreeBSD (if at all they consider any free OS).

What would make sense (from a software developer's point of view) is
for key FreeBSD developers to work with key LINUX developers and
come up with a common interface (beyond POSIX).  [Add to taste
statements like `Free OS people can only help themselves and their
users by uniting.  The enemy is not another free OS but M$.  ....']

> So. YES please port xpdf.

No disagreement here.