Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 1996 12:00:21 +0100 (MET)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        donny@ms1.hinet.net (Donny Lee)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: mountmsdosfs() warning?

Donny Lee writes:
> -=*> Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it> wrote:
>>>     mountmsdosfs(): Warning: root directory is not a multiple
>>>     of the clustersize in length.
>>>   when I tried to mount a DOS partition, the DOS partition was
>>>   still mounted in and worked ok though.
>> Probably the partition you are trying to mount is bigger than 1gb or
>> it has cluster of 32kb.
>
>  But my DOS partition, /dev/sd0s5, is only 280mb.    :)
>

>> If you want to use msdos fs with FreeBSD you must use partition that use
>> clusters of 16kb or less. I have no problems at all with those, while I
>> have trashed a lot of times my Hd using dos partition with clusters of 32kb
>> :-)
>
>  I should describe this problem in detail...
>
>  The DOS partition was only 250mb in the same node /dev/sd0s5,
>  there was no problem at all to mounting it in /dos.  I increased
>  it to 280mb couple days ago, my BSD began to panic about this.

This doesn't surprise me too much.  msdosfs is currently severely
broken; there's a discussion in freebsd-hackers about whether we
shouldn't remove it altogether until it's fixed.  The trouble is, the
person who's volunteered to fix it is overloaded with other work, and
the current version is so flaky that it can endanger not just your
MS-DOS partition, but your FreeBSD partitions as well.

I suspect that when you expanded your partition, some partition
information wasn't changed correctly (or the way msdosfs expects).
This doesn't seem to worry MS-DOS, but it causes problems for msdosfs.
If you still want to use msdosfs, probably your best bet is to back up
the whole MS-DOS partition, delete it, recreate the partition from
scratch, and restore the data.  Sorry.

Greg