Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 1996 11:19:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org (FreeBSD current users)
Subject:   Re: Installation: still not perfect

> 1.  I am doing the installation on a notebook (AcerNote Light, if
>     anybody's interested; 75 MHz Pentium, 24 MB main memory in my
>     config, 528 MB hard disk, 2 PCMCIA slots, in one of which I have a
>     3Com 3C585C).

This is a *supported* configuration for all recent releases (starting
with 2.0.5).

> 2.  This machine doesn't have a CD-ROM, so I had intended to install
>     via the Ethernet board.  The boot kernel recognizes the Ethernet
>     board, thinks it initializes it, but nothing comes out.

It may be using the wrong network connector.  You may have to tell it to
use a different connector using the '-link0 link1' OR 'link0 -link1'
flags.

>     This
>     appears to be due to the fact that it doesn't have PCMCIA
>     support.  If this is the case, it would be nice (a) for the driver
>     to notice the fact and not pretend that everything's working, and
>     (b) to have a boot diskette which does support notebooks.

The boot disk you have supports the 3Com PCMCIA cards fine, *as long* as
the driver is configured to use the IRQ/port/IOMEM values stored in the
card's ROM *AND* the correct network adaptor is selected using the link
flags.

> 3.  It may be that the Ethernet board is defective.  It's difficult to
>     be sure: 3Com have designed what must be a superlative in their
>     line of decreasingly useful diagnostic software.  I returned one
>     Ethernet board after the diagnostics said it was bad, but the
>     other one behaves just the same: if I write the config info first,
>     the diag software passes, but if I then stop the program and
>     re-enter, it fails again (can't find the registers).  Has anybody
>     else seen this?

Hmm, I haven't seen this.  Are you using card-services before you run
the configuration file.

> 4.  So, I thought, let's try using lp0 as the interface.  Doesn't
>     work: it looks as if the setup scripts aren't expecting a
>     point-to-point connection, and they don't specify the address of
>     the other end of the link, so ifconfig fails.  Is there a trick
>     here?

Yep, use the 'additional parameters' portion of the network setup to
specify the remote address.  (This is also necessary for the link
parameters).

> 5.  OK, let's do a floppy install of the minimum necessary.  That
>     doesn't work either, although I stuck to the letter of what the
>     installation scripts say.  Looking at the debug output under F2,
>     it shows that it succeeded in mounting the disks (I tried both
>     MS-DOG and ufs formats) on /dist, and then went looking for
>     /dist/bin/bin.tgz and /dist/bin/bin.inf, which it didn't find.
>     There's nothing in any documentation I know about which even
>     mentions these files.

Hmm, unless the documentation has changed, it *specifically* says to
create the dists directories on the floppies.

Nate