Date:      Sat, 7 Dec 1996 23:35:46 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freefall.freebsd.org, scrappy@freefall.freebsd.org, uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org
Subject:   Re: 2.x telnetd handles CTRL-M differently than other ttys  FDIV044

As Bruce Evans wrote:

> >The attached program demonstrates the original problem.
>
> Here is a half baked fix for the problem demonstrated by the program.
> ICRNL works now.  Unusual settings like INLCR and IGNCR are still broken.

I think that's the wrong approach.  According to my tcpdump, and to
the RFCs, the mere problem is that the telnet client sends \r only
where the RFC requires it to send \r\n if LINE and EDIT modes are
turned on.  telnetd seems to rely on this, and only converts \r\n back
to the local EOL character, but not a sole \r as it is sent by
FreeBSD's telnet client.

--
cheers, J"org