Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 1996 23:41:38 -0200 (EDT)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@mailhost.coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        robert@nanguo.chalmers.com.au, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: using sysinstall, post install

#define quoting(Doug White)
// On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, Robert Chalmers wrote:
//
// > Is there some reason that sysinstall doesn't recoginse the CD once the
// > system is up and running?

I can't help here.  I use ftp to install my packages.

All that I know is that if I'm using CD Audio (workman, xmcd, etc),
the music stops when sysinstall starts.

// Because you shouldn't use sysinstall after the system is up.  I don't know
// why that was put in the default /motd; it's completely wrong.  Run
// pkg_manage instead, or use pkg_add, pkg_delete, and so forth.

What's the problem ?

I often use sysinstall to install new packages.

It's big advantage over pkg_add is that it takes care of getting the
needed files and dependencies from ftp.  pkg_add is more friendly
when you already have the package on hands, and know that no
dependencies are needed.

BTW: Since we're talking about packages, I remembered: Why is pkg_manage
not anymore installed by default ?  The sources are still available, and
it seens to work.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br