Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 1996 09:00:11 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        elh@gateway.spnet.com
Subject:   Re: current worm info pointers

(Followups to freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, please)

As Ed Hudson wrote:

> 	now i'm looking for pointers on finding information on current worm
> 	developement and applications (particularly audio read/write),
> 	or any other info than the handbook and worm.c

Audio write should already be possible.  Wrt. audio read, contact
multimedia@freebsd.org.  I know that there's at least Charles
Henrich's `cdd' suite, and Charles will certainly also point out to
you the various brokenesses of the various drives wrt. reading audio
data.

>     worm kernel intallation question:
>
> 	to get my philips cdd2000 to be recognized as a worm
> 	whilst a "device cd0" is also present in the config file required
> 	that i reverse the cd/worm entries in scsiconf.c

Interesting.  That's basically also what PR 2225 says.  I wonder
why scsiconf.c is now broken...

Ahyep!

I know why this happens!  And yes, changing the two sets of records
_is_ the right action.  Previously, there was no `catchall' entry for
CD devices.  This caused some (broken) CD drives to respond on all
LUNs where they should only respond on a single LUN, that's why we've
now got the catchall entry.  Of course, since the list is walked down
front to back, this catchall entry now also catches the HP and Philips
CD-R drives (since they claim to be of type `Readonly' aka. CDROM).

Perhaps it's best if we put all the catchall records to the end of the
quirks list?

> 	(this was done within a "make world system" of a top-of-cvsup
> 	build from 12/17/96 or so).

> 	is there a better way?

Ouch!  Yep, there's no need to revamp everything.  It should have been
as simple as going into your kernel's compile directory, and type
`make' there.  Since your sys/scsi/scsiconf.c has been touched, make
should notice this fact, and recompile the required portions (not much
more than scsiconf.c itself in your case).

--
cheers, J"org